Sunday, April 10, 2011

Wombmates!


Mysteries of Life Before Birth...


The expression "my twin brother" or "my twin sister" is a redundancy. If you are a twin, you and your twin are by definition siblings. Brother and sister both mean having the same parents.

There is one historic exception to the statement that twins have the same parents.

After World War II, a West German woman gave birth to twin boys, fraternal twins: one was white and one was black. The doctors were stymied. How could this be? They investigated and found no African relative in either the woman's family nor in the man's family. They searched further and discovered that right after the woman had had sex with the German, she had sex with an African-American soldier stationed in Germany. Later she married the German who accepted that he was the father. So although it's possible that twins not have the same father, they always have the same mother! In the case of identical twins, both twins have the very same parents, of course.

Then there is another twist to consider with respect to identical twins.

My twin and I certainly had the same mother and father.  However, as in all conceptions, father's contribution and mother's contribution joined to create a zygote; that is, a fertilized egg.  How romantic!  Now in singletons, the zygote goes on to become the little one they call their son or daughter.  But in identical twins, the zygote, for still unknown reasons, splits, thus producing two little ones where before there was only one.  Now that, my dear readers, is surely romantic!  From two, one.  From one, two.

Now the philosophical questions becomes, If little Jimmy and Georgie came about from the splitting zygote mommy and daddy made, can't it, the fertilized egg, be considered the twins' immediate parent, relegating Mr. and Mrs. Ross to the role of mediate parents?  Your meditation for the day.  Mine for a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflections of a Lone Twin...

What's New on My Blogs?

October 2011
Here's the latest goings-on with my blogs"
George in Thailand
Since several members of my family have asked how I was doing with all the flooding in Thailand, I have posted some observations and three videos. In Meet My New Thai Friend I introduce you to Pramool. Charming!
Twins in a World of Singletons
I haven't made any new postings recently. When I have any new thoughts or feelings or observation on what it means to be a twin, I will post them.
The Lotus Sutra and Me
I haven't made any new postings for awhile, but I have plenty of notes for when I do.
George W. Ross, MEd
Nothing new here either. Since this is primarily for those interested in my background and experience in my professional life as an educator. As I am retired and not teaching any longer, I have nothing new to add!
A note about how I prepare to write for my blogs: I carry a little notebook with me, and whenever something that I think you'll like or that I simply want to share, I write about it in a new post.

That's all, Folks!


A Mystical Bond

My Posting of July 19, 2011, contains an article on my twin and me titled, A Mystical Bond. It was written by Sandra Boodman as a human interest story. I would be donating bone marrow to Jimmy in a protocol conducted by the National Institutes of Health. The study was to determine how effective AZT, the only medication at the time for AIDS patients. We joined the study mainly to participate in research that might lead to more effective treatments for patients with AIDS. There was a possibility that the study might help Jimmy; however, we all knew that the chances of his benefiting personally from the study were, as Jimmy said, "slim and fat, since the expressions 'slim chance' and 'fat chance' mean the same thing even though slim and fat are opposites." Jimmy liked those kind of linguistic canundrums. In the end, Jimmy got an added six months of life. We were both happy about that.